
THE Kerry senior panel came out strongly in favour of Peter Keane continuing as team boss and the players had asked officials to reappoint him, it has emerged.
In a bombshell statement issued today, Keane said it was disappointing that the wishes of the players were not acknowledged.
Insisting that he and the squad had unfinished business, he said he wanted to continue with the project and that’s why he expressed a desire to remain on in the job.
“We were a united Kerry team with a great sense of purpose and ambition,” he said.
“Unfortunately, losing the semi-final by one point in extra time, to the eventual All-Ireland winners, led to a decision to end the work we had started and the momentum we had built.
“I know the players very much wanted us to continue with our project. They were the reason I wanted to stay,” he said.
Keane said all the players had communicated to the county board sub-committee their strong preference for the present management to be retained.
“It’s most disappointing that their wishes do not appear to have been considered in the decision-making process,” said the Killorglin businessman who led Kerry to a replayed All-Ireland final, two national league titles and two Munster Championship victories in his three years at the helm.

Wishing the players and their families well, Keane said it has been a very tough time for everyone and that, during his tenure, two very unusual GAA seasons were experienced due to the pandemic.
“It was fantastic to start seeing fans back at games again. I will now re-join the Kerry supporters in the stands and the terraces and I want to thank all the wonderful Kerry supporters who have given us such fantastic backing over the years,” his statement read.
Keane said it had been an honour for him to be involved with the Kerry county set-up over the last decade, from development squad level to managing both the minor and senior football teams.
“It was great to work with so many of our talented young footballers. To watch their progression, showing potential from young players in development squads was a privilege. To be able to guide them to make the step up to minor level and then onto senior level has been hugely rewarding,” he remarked.
Keane paid tribute to all those who have been involved in the backroom teams at minor and senior level over the past six years, especially his selectors James Foley, Maurice Fitzgerald and Tommy Griffin.

“There are too many others to mention but they all know how much I appreciated their input and friendship.
“I’d especially like to thank my wife Siobhán and my three boys for giving me their unwavering and unbelievable support over the years. Ciarraí Abú,” he said.
Last weekend KillarneyToday.com published an opinion piece criticising the fact that the county board had not publicly thanked Peter Keane and his backroom team for their efforts despite the fact that a month had passed since his term officially ended.
Munster Council Treasurer, Dermot Weeshie Lynch, who confirmed that he had discussed the article with at least one of the five-man sub-committee who opted to give the Kerry job to Jack O’Connor, contacted KillarneyToday.com to insist it would be premature to thank Keane until O’Connor is formally ratified by the county committee next Monday night.